Choosing the right domain name for your online profile can be tricky at times as there are numerous factors to consider: .com or .co.uk?; company domain name OR Generic domain name; the list just goes on and on! Confused? Then do not hesitate to call one of our experienced brokers that can help you every step of the way in making the right choice for you and your business! Below we have highlighted a few do's and don'ts that could help your website in maximizing its potential on the internet!
- Top-level domains: these are the country extension at the end of your domain, like ".uk" or ".fr"
- Generic top-level domains: extensions without a national element, like ".com", ".org", or ".net"
- Number of words
- Other characters: hyphens or numbers
- Mis-spellings: if your domain is plumberslancashire.com, how about registering plumverslancashire.com to catch people making typos?
- Commercial potential
- Search engine potential
- Memorability and pronounceability
Also beware hidden factors like site content, sources of web traffic, PPC traffic, and subsequent rates.
Top 10 selling domain names of 2012
- 10. 60.com sold for $310,000
- 8. (tie) BJ.com sold for $325,000
- 8. (tie) VI.com sold for $325,000
- 7. Giftbasket.com sold for $350,000
- 3. (tie) Jackpot.com sold for $500,000
- 3. (tie) Challenge.com sold for $500,000
- 3. (tie) WebHosting.co.uk sold for $500,000
- 3. (tie) FreeWebsite.com sold for $500,000
- 2. PersonalLoans.com sold for $1,000,000
- 1. Investing.com sold for $2,450,000